What to Do if You Are Seriously Injured on Vacation
Hawaii’s beautiful weather, beaches and culture make it dream vacation destination for many people. These visitors often take part in vacation activities, such as snorkeling, cycling and scenic drives. This dream vacation can become a nightmare if a vacationer gets into an accident while on their trip.
One report shows that, on average, one visitor to Hawaii dies every week. Visitors to Hawaii are at serious risk for drowning, car collisions and other accidents related to vacation activities. If you become injured while on vacation, follow these steps to prevent future headaches.
Steps to take after an accident
No matter what kind of accident causes your injury, you can follow these simple steps to protect your rights:
- Call the police: Immediately call 911 if you or your loved one get into a serious accident. Immediate medical care can save lives and prevent further injuries. A police record of your accident can help you file an insurance claim and prove your side of the story.
- Gather information: Getting the names of people involved in an accident, taking pictures of the accident scene and obtaining insurance information can save you time and stress. Having a record of accident events can help you file an accurate injury claim.
- Call your insurance provider: Contacting insurance providers early will get the process started and help you get authorized treatments. Waiting to tell an insurance provider about an accident can cause a valid claim to be denied.
- Get medical treatment: Certain injuries, like a concussion, are not immediately apparent after an accident. Getting early medical treatment can prevent further injuries.
- Do not accept an early settlement: Some insurance providers approach injured people right after an accident with a small first offer. Accepting this offer can prevent an injured person from getting compensation once the full nature of their injuries become clear. Talk to a personal injury lawyer before accepting any offers from an insurance company.
A severe injury while on vacation can prevent a person from returning home or can cause them to miss work. Getting compensation for missed flights, time away from work and other incurred expenses can become a nightmare to handle from afar. Working with a local personal injury attorney after an accident can make the process easier. A lawyer can handle communications with insurance companies and negligent parties, while you focus on getting better.