What You Need To Know About Hawaii's No-Fault Laws

If you were driving your own car, a borrowed vehicle or a rental car when you were in a crash in Hawaii, presumably, your no-fault insurance was in effect. All motor vehicle drivers in Hawaii must have motor vehicle insurance and carry motor vehicle identification cards with them.

Were you in compliance with these requirements at the time of your accident? Understanding your insurance is a first step to recovering compensation after an accident.

The following information about Hawaii’s no-fault insurance is a general summary only. It is not intended to be specific legal advice for your situation. Contact a personal injury lawyer at Recovery Law Center in Honolulu to review your insurance coverage. Initial consultations are free.

In An Initial Consultation, I Can Help You Determine What Insurance Coverage Applies In Your Case

I am attorney Glenn Honda, the founder, and owner of Recovery Law Center. I welcome the opportunity to provide you an informative overview of your auto insurance coverage with no further obligation. According to Hawaii’s no-fault insurance laws, if the relevant insurance policy was active at the time of the crash, you may be eligible to recover:

  • Payment of medical bills for your injuries and your passengers’ injuries up to the personal injury protection benefits (“PIP”) limit of $10,000 per person or more.
  • Up to $20,000 per person ($40,000 per accident) for bodily injury liability to cover injuries of anyone who was injured besides you and your passengers.

In addition to these required amounts of coverage for injuries, your insurance policy or the relevant insurance policy of another driver may include compensation for:

  • Collision and comprehensive
  • Uninsured (UM) and underinsured (UIM) coverage
  • Wage loss
  • Alternative care (including healing methods such as naturopathy, acupuncture and faith healing)
  • Death benefits (coverage range from $25,000 to $100,000)
  • Funeral benefits, (the coverage is $2,000)

If you are determined to have been at fault, your insurance should pay up to $10,000 per occurrence to cover damage to the other person’s car or other personal property.

What If You Were Not The Driver?

You may have been a passenger, pedestrian, or bicyclist. You were injured when a car, truck, or motorcycle struck you or crashed with the vehicle you were riding in. Even if the driver was not properly insured, you may be eligible to recover compensation through your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Whatever Your Situation, Get Started On The Path To Recovery Today

I can help determine which insurance policy or policies should cover your medical expenses and other losses and how to pursue the compensation you are eligible for. A free initial consultation can get your case up and running. Contact the Recover Law Center or send an email inquiry to request a meeting with me, personal injury lawyer Glenn Honda, after a car or motorcycle accident in Honolulu or elsewhere in the state.